Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday

To join in the fun of Top Ten Tuesday, click the image below:


When I first sat down to make this week's top 10 list of
The Top 10 Series I have Yet to Finish,
I thought it would be really hard...
then I realized... NOPE.
I have more unfinished series than I thought! 
If the title is in RED, it means that's a series I don't intend to ever pick back up again!

1. The Matched Trilogy by Ally Condie
I read the first book in this series... but I probably won't read the rest unless someone gives them to
me for free. I just wasn't impressed.This was a series where I expected more because of all the hype, and all the talk of the author's contract.

2. The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare
I've read the first book, which I enjoyed... but then I stumbled on a spoiler on someone's blog (someone not considerate enough to mark that their post contained spoilers) and it just sort of killed my desire to read any more of it. Will I pick it up again someday? Yes, I already own the first three, so I might as well read them.

3. The Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini
Here is a book that I felt was just over hyped all around. I mean, yeah, it's really cool that a kid got published (but it wasn't like he didn't have connections), or dedicated himself to something so passionately... but the writing, plot and pacing are all very beginner when it comes to fantasy. His book was a vivid map of all the greater fantasy writers that came before him. It offered nothing original. I won't be reading the rest of this series.. I did *try* to read book two... but when I was hit with the million page recap of book one, I gave up.

4. The Temeraire series by Naomi Novik
I really loved the first book in this series... but the second book was *literally* a slow boat to China. It bored me to tears, nothing happened, and reading it was tedious. THEN I was told that about every other book in this series is a slow trip to somewhere... so I stopped reading it after book two.

5. The First Law series by Joe Abercrombie
I have no excuse. I've read book one and two, and only have book three left to read... and this series is AWESOME... I mean it, if you like fantasy, pick this series up. NOW. Obviously I will read book three... but for whatever reason, I've put it off... since I read book one and two over 2 years ago now.

6. The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan
I will never pick this series back up. I read it through the beginning of book three and realized it was just the same story over and over and over. Not to mention that the author didn't know when to quit, and went well beyond the original number of books that were supposed to be published.

7. The Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin
I LOVE this series... LOVE IT. I have been reading it since long before the hype, and after the wait for this last book (and the wait was a doozy)... I just can't bring myself to rush into the latest release in this series... because I absolutely fear it'll be another almost decade long wait for the next one ;_;
Will I read it? Heck yeah... but I'm in no hurry.

8. The Abarat series by Clive Barker
Another series I really, really love... but it took Barker 8 years to release the third book. Now... granted, the man had an excellent excuse (very traumatic health issues)... but I am in no hurry to read the third book (which I own, it's sitting on my shelf at this very moment) until the next one comes out.

9. The Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich
I've read through book 17 in this series... but have just kind of lost my momentum on it. They're fun, light summer reads,  and I'm sure I'll read another one someday... but at the moment, I just don't feel like picking them back up.

10. The Age of Unreason series by Gregory Keyes
I've read the first book, Newton's Cannon, and loved it... and I will read the rest, eventually... but every time I go to buy it or check it out, my boyfriend goes, "But I OWN that entire series!" Unfortunately, they're packed in a box in our basement somewhere, so until he gets off his duff and finds them, I won't be reading them, LOL.

Please feel free to stop by and check out my reviews of two other series:

5 comments:

  1. Totally agree with you on the Inheritance series. I tried reading Eragon and never got past the second chapter. The writing just didn't hold me.

    I was actually pleasantly surprised by 'Matched'. I put off reading it because from the description, I thought it was going to be too heavy on the love story for my taste. When I actually picked it up, I found it to be a balanced look at family, society, and love. It made me think of 'The Giver', just told from a girl's perspective. I'm waiting for the next one from the library.

    And so with you on the Stephanie Plum novels. They're light and fluffy, but nothing really compels me to stick to the series consistently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in the exact same spot with the Stephanie Plum books, too. I've read number 17, but just can't get myself to read number 18. I used to LOVE these books, but, now that there are 18 (almost 19), well, they aren't as fresh as before.

    But I do love SP, and hope to continue with the series.

    What did you think of the movie, One for the Money?

    Here's my TTT

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Inheritance Trilogy was such a disappointment. I saw potential in the first book despite the many faults but couldn't get through the second. I love the Wheel of Time series but if you feel that way it's better not to continue. The best books 5-7 are yet to come but so are the stinkers of 8 & 9. I loved them anyway :) My Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard a lot about the First Law Series. I need to get that started!!! I am actually all caught up on the Plum series. I love them because each book is like a 4 hour read!! So those are easy to stay caught up on!

    Here is mine Angela's Anxious Life

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was saying to someone how funny it is that every list I see has 'Shiver', 'Matched' and 'Mortal Instruments' on it..glad to see it wasn't just me!

    ReplyDelete