Thursday, September 9, 2010

My Girlfriend is a Geek: Manga review

(I would have given this 1 Squid... but I actually finished reading it...)

So, I read the title of this on another blog in the writer's "To be read" pile, and got supremely excited over the name of the manga.

Promptly, I headed to the book store and purchased it... thinking she was going to either be some sort of math nerd, or be into Sci-Fi or something.

Oh did I learn my lesson.

No... no that's not what this manga is about at all. It's about a rather stupid guy who wants to date a cute older woman (yup... that is the extent of his requirement list) and ends up working with one... who happens to be a Yaoi fangirl.

This is NOT a manga to hand off to someone who knows nothing about manga... I mean, there are certain manga I'd give to people if I were trying to get them interested (Full Metal Alchemist, Host Club, DeathNote...) NOT this manga. Heck, I wouldn't even give this manga to half the manga readers I know. Here's why:

I cannot for the life of me figure out why the main character is still dating this girl. He's a cute guy, he shouldn't be desperate... and he barely even seems to like her. Other than her motivations for Yaoi fangirl squeeishness... she really has no personality. My only conclusion is that the main character truly is an idiot.

For me, this manga seems like some heavy Yaoi fangirl fanservice... and since I'm not a Yaoi fangirl, I really can't appreciate it.

Oh, and for those of you wondering, Yaoi is manga's term for Boy Love.

So... my advice on this one... don't waste your money. Buy Skip Beat, D. Grey Man... or any other more worthwhile title instead. (or hope you have a friend as dumb as I was, who didn't read the synopsis before buying!)

Oh, and also, check out my giveaway for Flora Segunda!

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by at my blog yesterday. Love the squid ratings - they are absolutely adorable! Great review by the way - I'll be steering clear of this one then. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I won't waste my money then :-)
    We used to do things in SQUIDS :-)
    Still do ! :-) x x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi its my first time visiting. Don't read too much manga but I can see why the name of this book might be misleading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fullmetal Alchemist and Deathnote are LOVE!! Two of the best manga ever! <33 Shonen will PWN shoujo anyday. And I'm not a yaoi fan either.

    The only shoujo manga I really liked is Arisa but I'm not sure if Del Rey has published the english scans. A friend from Japan sent me 2 volumes of it and I had to ask someone to translate for me ): Superior is also awesome! But it's not published in english either. It's such a shame that a lot of awesome manga are not licensed in English :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the review! I read manga on occasion, and I'll be sure to pass over this one. Also, I love your rating system :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, a good review! Ya, that cover totally got me going there for a second.
    Thanks for explaining - I do read Manga, but not enough, so this review really made it easy to decide whether to read this book or not :)
    Your follower!

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I saw the cover/title, I was like "aw, this sounds cute!" I'm glad I read this review....

    YAY!! Ouran High School Host Club fan! You are my new best friend. :) haha!

    <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the review. It's nice to know what books not to read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah... manga is too expensive to waste money on awful titles... and this one is cute and catchy enough that you could get suckered in by the cover (I speak from experience here *wailywailywaily*)

    Anne Royce: Oh yes, I'm a huge fan of "boys" stuff too, lol, I also love Hikaru No Go... and am way behind on buying it. I've kind of been liking Jack Frost lately too.
    If you haven't read Ouran High School Host Club... in my opinion, it's a Shojo that is absolutely worth picking up... it's more comedy than shojo anyways... and yes... curse them for what they do and do not publish!
    I'm just upset that the 12 Kingdoms books are done being published... but here in the US they're dragging them out to one book a year.

    Deepali: Yeah... I would avoid... or if you must, borrow this one, but I certainly wouldn't recommend paying the $11 price tag on it!! I will have manga reviews often enough, so hopefully I'll be able to point you towards some good reads!

    Stephany: hehe, anyone who says they don't like Host Club... doesn't have a sense of humor XD Are you in the US? Are you current with the US releases? There was a line in the last one about falling in love... shojo manga love...that had me rolling XD (But I don't want to spoil anything if you haven't read it!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow, such a waste for the cute cover and cute title.

    ReplyDelete